Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Newest in my Jazz series

Hi All!!

I know it's been awhile since I've been around but the Florida sunshine overrides computer time!! But I have been painting and I have a picture I like well enough to share. It didn't start out very well and after trying to "rescue" it in several ways I was about to tear it up and use it for ATC backgrounds! A friend - who is also a wonderful art teacher and artist - suggested a technique I might try to save it. I bought some white tempera paint and a bottle of black india ink. I covered everything I liked and wanted to keep on the painting with the white paint and let it dry very well.. Then I covered the entire painting with the black ink and when it dried I put the whole painting in the sink and washed it! Most of the white paint came off, as well as some of the original color but the black ink remained. I then went back to the painting with paint to enhance some of the color I lost. I used the "new" painting as a background for collaged Jazz figures and integrated them into the background with paint. I love trying new techniques!! I am looking forward to getting feedback and other suggestions.

I am delighted to see everyone's wonderful work, as well. What a joy to be part of such a creative group.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful work.What a special technique! Love the black and white background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had fun trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello snowbird, home again?? I have to say that I have not heard of this technique, but I love the result you got!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK...so I read it and was breaking out in a sweat at the thought of painting over everything in black!!! And white, too, for that matter. BUT...I do love the results. It adds a whole new level of depth to the piece and I can see why you are happy with this new technique! If I ever decide to try it, I'll be sure to contact you for moral support!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Maxine. You must be following me around as this is one of the techniques I use- or almost. Love the effects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there "soulbrush!" funny comment re simchah torah...who would have known...wonderful syncronicity! thanks for the comment on my art on violence. now you! my good g-d! you are soooo talented. chickidee, how many blogs do you have? i came to this one because i loved the name. the art is very african/bohemian/ ahhhhh. i love your ecclectic style. it was a joy seeing all you do and bouncing from blog to blog. i look forward to the next edition of PPF and seeing your work! Lovies, Samara

    ReplyDelete